Tuesday 19 March 2019

Courtney Buchanan - R U Conscious (1993)

Conscious Records MCSTD 1792


I'm re-upping this in 320. Yay!

Remember when London's KISS 100FM was good? 


Yeah, me too. 

I guess part of it was its move from pirate radio to fully fledged commercial station coincided with a real boom in quality UK soul, hiphop and dance music. 

Back in the day, they used to cane this one track that got right under my skin. That track was the Hip Hop version of R U Conscious by Courtney Buchanan. Whatever the reason, I failed to pick it up on its release, and then I couldn't get it anywhere. Cue Mickey P The Man posting it here on Soul Vendor, and Kymba is made one very happy lady. Nice one, Mickey!

Anyway, it's still all about the Hip Hop Mix for me, but Mick disagrees.

As always, These are high quality audio rips, and high res artwork scans are included in the .ZIP file.

Here's what the man himself had to say in his original post:

Courtney Buchanan gained critical acclaim with his single release Life With You in '92. His second single release 'R U Conscious - The Chapters' (CON 14) was licensed from Conscious Records by MCA a scored a minor hit in 1993.

The CD single release features the additional Hip Hop Edit and the Final Chapter (Instrumental). Buchanan was hot property in '93 and Soul II Soul's Daddae Harvey is involved on the remixes. His Soul Mix: The Final Chapter was always the one that got the drop back in the day. Listening now, I think the Album Version is the better mix.
In 1994 he dropped a stunning release called Heaven which I never got my hands on. It's supposedly taken from an album called 'Kingdom Come' but I've never come across either.




Tracklist
  1. Chapter One (Hip Hop Edit)
  2. Chapter One (Full Hip Hop Mix)
  3. Chapter Two (Ragga Mix)
  4. Chapter Three (Album Version)
  5. Chapter Four (Soul Mix)
  6. Final Chapter (Instrumental)
Download: CB-RUC.7z | Filesize: 62.5MB

2 comments:

  1. This also sampled 'Get out of my life woman'. cant remember which version to be honest. Both great tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classic 90's Street soul....

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs