Thursday 20 June 2019

Loose Ends - Don't Be A Fool - (1990)

Ten Records TENX312


Loose-Ends-Don-t-Be-A-Fool-Cover
Kym says: 320Reup. This is another post from Mickey P circa 2009. I forgot I had requested it - not being able to find my CDS at the time. I've since recovered it and am re-upping here in 320. 
Mick gives us a great write up as always and I'd like to add how much I love the breakbeat - sampled from The Demon Boyz legendary track Recognition (that break itself is a heavily modified Synthetic Substitution by Melvin Bliss which I have bigged up here and here and probably other places, too!). 
..Wait a minute, I'm coming off sounding like a real nerd, aren't I? 
"Sort ya life aaaht!" đŸ¤£
Well, this one's for 'Our Kymba' and I certainly don't need to tell you about this, do I. What, I do? Oh..... OK then?


Loose Ends formed in London in 1980, initially comprising vocalist and guitarist Carl McIntosh, vocalist Jane Eugene, and keyboard player, writer and founder Steve Nichol. The latter two left the group in 1989, bringing an end to a legend.


In 1990 McIntosh wanted to move forward, leading the way for the 90's. Eugene and Nichol decided to leave, and were replaced by Linda Carriere and Sunay Suleyman. Look How Long was the only studio album released by this line up, and featured this, their final hit single, Don't Be A Fool.

While the rest of the music world was sticking Whoo and Yeah samples into everything from Bananarama to Timmy Mallet, Carl McIntosh utilised the technology in a far more classy and soulful way. The awesome bubbly bass line works it's magic on the feet while Carriere voice weaves into your consciousness. Five minutes and fifty seconds of highly infectious groove, Resistance is futile, dance mutha!


Loose-Ends-Don-t-Be-A-Fool-OFC


On the flip the Instrumental is worth checking out. There's more to this than just a plain backing track. It has a life of it's own. Let's Wax A Fatty, on the other hand, is a strange affair.
"Buy this record! You heard me..."
It's an advert? Fair enough, it's an advert with a bitchin' groove but I think it's a shame that such a good backing track gone to waste.


McIntosh himself went on to work behind the recording desk following the group's peak popularity, he has produced and remixed for many artists, most notably Caron Wheeler.


Loose-Ends-Don-t-Be-A-Fool-CD
Tracklist
  1. Don't Be A Fool
  2. Don't Be A Fool (12" Extended Version)
  3. Don't Be A Fool (Instrumental)
  4. Let's Wax A Fatty
Download: LE-DBAF.7z | Filesize: 39.2MB

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! :)

    Got this downloading as I type.

    Just wanted to say a big thanks, Mickey.

    Truly, you are "The Daddy"!!

    Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really surprised by that "instrumental" - you're right, it truly does have a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know im gonna be shot for these comments... But did you know there is a Twilight Firm( Demon Boyz) remix of this tune...?
    Another to add to the list i know....

    Nitro
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for a 320 rip of this, was a massive loose ends fan in the 80's along with the cool notes and 52nd street, some future posts from those would be great also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I'm drawing a blank there honey.

      If any of you have any Cool Notes/52nd Street or other artists from the era it would be great having some help adding to the site. :)

      Delete
  5. Can not go wrong with Loose Ends... Any more Loose Ends? :P Thanks for the 320 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Legendary group.

      Don't tell anyone, but I may just have the CD single of Hangin' On A String coming soon...

      ;)

      Delete
    2. Did you pick up Love's Got Me as well? http://soul-vendor.blogspot.com/2009/02/loose-ends-love-got-me-1990.html

      Delete

Shout outs