Tuesday 30 April 2019

Kicking Back With Taxman ‎– Devotion (1990)

10 Records ‎– TENCD 297


Kicking-Back-Devotion-OFC



Kicking Back's debut single in 1989 was Keep On Trying, which was followed up with this track featuring Taxman doing his raggamuffin thing as per their third (and final) release, the classy Everything which you can check out here.

It's hard to find info about this band but it seems it was producer John Crossley and vocalist Patcee Francis, with both having writing credits. They only released three singles, and I really like all that I've heard from them.

Kicking-Back-Devotion-OBC

Devotion, much like Everything, is a great reggae/soul hybrid tune. It's sung beautifully and I dig it as much today as I did back in '91. It might have been nice if they'd seen fit to have a version without the ragga vocals of Taxman as the singing really is that nice but it ain't a deal breaker for me.

Both mixes are cool but the 7" version is the classic take on it for me, and is the version I'd recommend. The third track All I Want (Club Mix) is terribly dated and not really to my tastes. It has some rave/old skool ardcore elements but doesn't commit to that fully enough to interest my ears. 

Still, the title track is wicked.

Kicking-Back-Devotion-Mini-CD
Tracklist
  1. Devotion (7" Mix)
  2. Devotion (The-Motive Mix)
  3. All I Want (Club Mix)

Download : KB-D.7z | Filesize: 33.5MB

1 comment:

Shout outs