Monday 15 April 2019

New York Undercover 4-Track EP (1996)

MCA Records ‎– MCSTD 48002


New-York-Undercover-cover

This is a great EP containing a selection of tracks, some R&B and some more Hip Hop in nature.

The thing kicks off with an at-the-time unforeseen Guy reunion in Tell Me What You Like, which predated their third LP. I was hyped to have the boys back as they had split acrimoniously a few years prior, with Teddy Riley forming BlackStreet in the wake of the fallout. Anyway, this is a seriously dope track and required listening for any Guy or New Jack Swing fan like me.

Next up is the Little Shawn track Dom Perignon and it is FIRE (no pun intended, sample spotters). Sampling Kool & The Gang's dope Too Hot track and Biggie Smalls aka The Notorious BIG from his break-out Party & Bullshit (I love that track) this one's a killer cut and was also great for the dancefloor. That Kool & The Gang loop always sounds so dope - so smooth and just begging for some nice flows, which Shawn capably provides. 

(Speaking of, our very own DJ Filthy Rich served up a phatt blend of Dom Perignon and Party & bullshit which you can (and should) check out here. Thanks, Rich.)

Monifah is up next with an almost classic joint that never quite hit the heights of some of her contemporaries. I Miss You is nice enough and made a big enough splash at the time but she faded into relative obscurity. Please correct me if I am wrong. Still, Easy Moe Bee provides a dope remix here and is well worth having.

The Lost Boyz track is kinda nice for my Hip Hop heads. Mr Cheeks is always dope! A real head nodder. Parental advisory though lol


New-York-Undercover-OFC

All in all it is a wicked slice of mid nineties R&B/Hip Hop - in fact, I'd forgotten just how good this was. A nice snapshot of a time when music seemed so much better.


New-York-Undercover-CD
Tracklist
  1. Guy - Tell Me What You Like
  2. Little Shawn - Dom Perignon
  3. Monifah - I Miss You (Da Street Mix)
  4. The Lost Boyz - Jeeps, Lex Coups, Bimaz And Benz (Sparks Meets Dawg Mix)

Download: NYUEP.7z | Filesize: 36.7MB

5 comments:

  1. Dope! Got this on vinyl somewhere in my collection :) Thanks for all your work lately. Much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a pleasure! :) Thanks for the appreciation.

      Delete
  2. Hey Kym....thought you might dig this....it's a blend I did of Biggie over the Dom Perignon beat (using the original Biggie track that they sampled the hook from):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or6m3TwWuFM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so dope, Rich. I hope you don't mind but I've incorporated it into the write-up. I'm constantly in awe of your funky funky style.

      Delete
    2. No prob, Kym! Glad ya like my blends. FYI - I just emailed you

      Delete

Shout outs