Wednesday 1 May 2019

Mona Lisa - Can't Be Wasting My Time (Promo) - (1996)

Island Records ‎– 422-854 538-2
Mona-Lisa-Can-t-Be-Wasting-My-Time-Cover

Kimberly Leadbetter (born November 20, 1979), better known by her professional stage name Mona Lisa, is an American pop and R&B singer-songwriter, actress, model and record producer. She had a few singles, but this was by far her biggest joint and featured on the Don't Be A Menace... OST.


While I love this track I have always had a problem with it - specifically how it lists Butnaked Tim Dawg (and Mr Sex - great name) as the sole producers but it's basically an instrumental of KRS 1's MC's Act Like They Don't Know, produced by my boy DJ Premier. That's without even getting to the original sample used by Preemo (Clifford Brown's Yesterday's in case you're acting like you don't know (see what I did there?)).

Buttnaked Tim Dawg did a lot of that - borrowing heavily from whatever Hip Hop tune was big at the time and making an R&B track from it. See the Dawghouse Remix of Christopher Williams' dope Every Little Thing You Do on this site for further evidence where he once again stole from DJ Premier. I ain't aganst sampling, hell, the  music I love is built upon it, but credit where credit is due.

The production credits do not mention Premier or even Clifford Brown at all. Scandalous!

My production credit gripes aside, this is a great slice of forgotten mid 90s US R&B.


Mona-Lisa-Can-t-Be-Wasting-My-Time-OFC

Mona-Lisa-Can-t-Be-Wasting-My-Time-OBC

I only have the promo CD so don't have the extra mixes. This CD simply contains with and without rap versions, so take your pick as to what floats your boat. Having said that, the rap is by Mr Cheeks of the Lost Boyz so guess what I'm chosing? :D

Mona-Lisa-Can-t-Be-Wasting-My-Time-CD

Tracklist
  1. Can't Be Wasting My Time (One Dread One Ball Head Version) (With Rap)
  2. Can't Be Wasting My Time (One Dread One Ball Head Version) (Without Rap)
Download: ML-DBWMT.7z | Filesize: 19.9MB

2 comments:

Shout outs