Thursday 2 May 2019

Supercat - Scalp Dem / South Central (Promo) - (1994)

Columbia ‎– CSK 6430


Supercat-Scalp-Dem-OFC

Perhaps dancehall tracks don't truly belong on the Soul Vendor, but May is my birthday month, and so I'm gonna break the rules a little and indulge myself in some boom tunes from my youth.


Today I'm serving up the awe-inspiring Wu-Tang remix of Scalp Dem by Supercat. 'Cat was big back in '94, with a highly influential style that can still be felt to this day (people like Sean Paul owe Supercat and his peers a huge debt of gratitude). I've always been partial to a bit of ragga but some time in 94 I started hearing this one beat (I think Jazzie B used to use the instrumental for backing music on some of his talkie bits on his Monday night Kiss FM show, back before it was crap) that got under my skin.

This beat sounded like nothing else - eerie string type vibes over some plodding drums. Kinda hypnotic, and when I heard the full version I knew it was a masterpiece. 


Supercat-Scalp-Dem-IFC

Supercat-Scalp-Dem-OBC

So there's the Wu-Tang Mix on here followed by the original Dance Hall Mix. Go Wu-Tang for maximum enjoyment, obviously.


It's backed up with the remix of 'Cat's South Central, which is also incredibly catchy, using the Outstanding loop as its basis. It's a fine track but can't touch the majesty of the Scalp Dem Wu remix.

Wu-Tang forever, baby!
Supercat-Scalp-Dem-CD

Tracklist
  1. Scalp Dem (Wu-Tang Mix)
  2. Scalp Dem (Dancehall Mix)
  3. South Central (Outstanding Mix)
Download: S-SD-P.7z | Filesize: 27.5MB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shout outs