Saturday 13 March 2021

Tammy Payne - Free - UK 12" - (1990)

WEA ‎– YZ510T, WEA ‎– 9301-71943-0

Tammy-Payne-Free

In the interests of honesty and full disclosure, I do not own this 12" and I have no recollection of where I got these from!! I have thought long and hard about posting this for that reason and because I can't scan the artwork to our normal high standards and I can't attest to the quality. As such, all the images will be sourced from Discogs (although I have cleaned up the cover).

This track was mentioned in one of the comments a few days back and it has swung me over. If you are the original source of this rip, I am not intending to steal your work. Please get in touch so I can either remove it or credit you.


What can I say about this release? I ADORE the Deneice Williams original, it's one of my GOAT tracks, and a cover of a tune that I love HAS to be bloody good - or don't bother doing it in the first place.

Step forward Miss Tammy Payne. The Trilogy Mix is nice but not as good as the original, I feel, but oh my days! The Freedom version was the one for me back in the day and got some heavy rotation as well. 

Whilst getting the info for this write up from Discogs, I found a very interesting comment from Shylok back in 2009:

"Massive UK Street Soul gem, the Freedom Version that uses "Headhunters "God Make Me Funky" drum break is the mix that got a lot of play on the inner city black music pirate radio stations in the early 90s, its worth noting of a rumour that a picture of some flowers was used on the sleeve in place of a picture of Tammy Payne due to the singer being white with the record labels A&R thinking it would make her a less credible singer & thus not appealing to a majority of black musics fan base, RnB at this time was mainly an underground genre that had yet to become mainstream"

Thanks for the info, Shylok!



Tracklist
  1. Free
  2. Free (The Trilogy Mix)
  3. Push 'Em
  4. Free (Freedom Version)
Discogs page

Download: TP-F.7z | Filesize: 31.8MB

1 comment:

Shout outs