Monday 1 July 2019

Mica Paris - Breathe Life Into Me - (1988)

Island Records ‎– BRCDP 115


Mica-Paris-Breathe-Life-Into-Me-OFC

Mica Paris (born Michelle Wallen on 27 April 1969 in South London) is an English soul singer, radio and television celeb, and occasional actress and author who is well documented on Soul Vendor - and will be featured several times more in the near future.


She dropped her debut joint 'So Good' in 1988, followed by the first single, the sublime My One TemptationBreathe life Into Me followed this and made an instant impression on a very young me.

Mica's vocals are undeniably rooted in the gospel tradition, but she sings with a certain husky, raunchy edge, and can hit certain notes that almost pierce your soul, as I mentioned when I posted her track One back in the day (watch this space for a 320 re-up of that, btw).


Mica-Paris-Breathe-Life-Into-Me-IFC


Yeah, the production (by L'Equipe (Miles Waters, Peter Vale) with Engineering by Lee Hamblin) is relatively pop sounding, and doesn't have the proto Neo Soul and R&B vibes of her early 90s work that I loved her for so much... but DAMN if this ain't a sexy, seductive piece of work. It is undeniably tight and sexy, and Mica's sensual delivery give this a certain ooh-la-la that elevates it into something special. Easily my favourite joint from her debut album.

Turn the lights down, light up some candles, pour a glass of something naughty jump straight into that extended mix.

Bliss!

Note: Although the cover scan looks like it's a cassette, I can assure you that this is the CD single. It has a half sized inlay card to show off the picture disc.

Mica-Paris-Breathe-Life-Into-Me-CD

Tracklist

  1. Breathe Life Into Me (Radio Remix)
  2. Breathe Life Into Me (Extended Remix)
  3. In The City
  4. Like Dreamers Do (Hello New York)
Download: MP-BLIM.7z | Filesize: 42.9MB

6 comments:

  1. wow I just loved this, so many underated soul singers in the 80's (terrence trent d'arby is another) loved the album so good. thanks for reminding me of this track

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mica Paris...... Yes Please :) Nice1 Kym

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this track! - It's my favourite Mica track!
    Thanks, Kym!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve - it's my second fave behind I Should've Known Better :)

      Delete
  4. I love all Mica's songs, but when she sings "...a billion to one..." in this I just melt!
    ( I sound like a right softie, now, don't I? )
    đŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  5. No you don't John - you sound like you have good taste! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs