Sunday 9 September 2018

Junior Giscombe - Step Off (1990)

MCA Records - DMCAT 1432


Junior_Giscombe_Step_Off_CDS_OFC

Junior_Giscombe_Step_Off_CDS_OBC 

Re-up in 320 + Blacksmith mixes promo!!

Brit-Soul legend Junior Giscombe (he of Mama Used To Say fame) came back in fine style with this dance-floor smasher back in 1990.

Despite featuring D Mob's Dancin' Danny D on production and Nuff Juice on the rap (a combo that worked to great effect on D Mob's Put Your Hands Together), Step Off seems largely forgotten (I can't even find a video on Youtube for it), but still sounds great to me.

The 7" version is dope, with its Hip-Hop breakbeat, stabs, and early nineties trademark piano chords. Dancin' Danny D's Slammin' & Jammin' Mix is essentially an extended version and is my favourite of the bunch. The oddity here is The Boogie Pella, which strips out the vocals & melodics and turns it into something of a breakbeat led monster. Really good if you're into that sort of thing (like me).


Junior's story is tragic, having to put his career on hold while he looked after his lovely wife and, later, daughter, who both suffered with multiple sclerosis. I hate that disease. Both ended losing their fight against MS, and the devastated Mr Giscombe is left without his beloved ones or what was a hugely promising career. 

He has since joined the British Collective, a band consisting of some serious heavyweight dons of UK soul such as Don-e, Junior, LeeeJohn, Noel McKoy, Omar and released a seriously wicked album called The Renaissance, with hopefully many more to come. I urge you to support the boys and pick up a copy.

I've also now added the promo 12" featuring a suite of Blacksmith remixes of this that I hadn't heard at the time until I picked up a copy a couple of years back. As you're probably sick of hearing from me by now, Blacksmith are favourites of mine, and the pick of this bunch is probably the Brixton Bass Mix, which features re-sung vocals from Junior and trademark Blacksmith funky production. The UPSO single version is also pretty good to my ears, but sounds more dated.


As happy as I am to have these mixes, and as dirty as I feel for saying this,  I think I still prefer the Dancin' Danny D's Slammin' & Jammin' Mix on the regular release.

Enjoy!

Junior_Step_Off_CD_full_size
Original CDS Tracklist
  1. Step Off (7" Version) 
  2. Step Off (Dancin' Danny D's Slammin' & Jammin' Mix) 
  3. The Boogie Pella 
Blacksmith Mixes Promo 12"
  1. Step Off (Brixton Bass)
  2. Step Off (Radio Edit)
  3. Step Off (Dub Mix)
  4. Step Off (Club Version)
  5. Step Off (UPSO Groove)
  6. Step Off (UPSO Single Version)
  7. Step Off (Timmy's Beats)
Download: JG-SO.7z | Size: 107.8MB

11 comments:

  1. So nice to hear this one again thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Honey, I have the same CD as you and Then Came You CDS. Both have 7" versions of the original songs, I always meant to pick the album up but...

    Mickey P. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was a big fan of Dancin' Danny D productions back in the day. Somehow missed this one. Thnx for the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought a mint 12" of the Blacksmith Mixes from Discogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twilight Firm mix is the one, very underated uk producers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you guys back. as you guys mentioned you are fans of the blacksmith remix boys i've the 12" of the David Grant's "life" and 12" or CDS of Miki Howard's "until you come back to me" if any one would like. look forward to more posts. P.S. Life was the first remix i had heard from them and by far its the best thing since bread let alone sliced IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey SE, you okay? I'd be interested in both as I love the Blacksmith guys loads. That's a very kind offer and I'd love to take you up on it.

      As an aside, I read about your whole blog being duplicated. That's some shameless behaviour right there! Any chance you'd be coming back, when your mojo returns? The blogosphere misses you. :)

      Delete
    2. thanks Kymba, i will do a fresh rip of the life track as i have a new turntable and will sort out the miki cd over the weekend. i will post a link to the tunes here if thats ok if not you can pass me to where i could. i have a number of sights designed but not running at the mo. i have always admired your blogs and only wanted to complement them but not many are left from anywhere.

      Delete
  7. I'd be delighted if you'd like to contribute to this site (I know Mick would too). As you know all too well, even a single post is a lot of work for one person, and we have so many gaps to fill!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great song 🎵 👌

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs