Tuesday 20 April 2021

Simon Harris Starring Dina Carroll & Monte Luv ‎– Don't Stop The Music - UK CDS - (1990)

Living Beat Records ‎– SMASH 10CD

Simon-Harris-Don-t-Stop-Cover

In 1986, Simon Harris, who would later become best known for producing the number one hit "Bass (How Low Can You Go?"), founded the label Music of Life with hundreds of productions, many by Simon himself,  involving UK, US and Jamaican urban artists. Simon broke new ground alongside Asher D and Daddy Freddy, when they released "Ragamuffin Hip Hop", a fusion of reggae and hip hop, and helped to lay the foundations of the urban UK music scene for years to come.

He has remixed many artists such as Norman Cook (Fatboy Slim), Arthur Baker, War, James Brown, George Clinton, Tony! Toni! Toné! and Prince (The Most Beautiful Girl in the World) to name a few.

He's also the man behind the legendary Beats Breaks and Scratches series of albums – which I've got several of.

Simon-Harris-Don-t-Stop-OFC

Simon-Harris-Don-t-Stop-IFC

This tune has real pedigree, being a cover cover of the 1980 classic by Yarbrough and Peoples, with Mr Harris and team infusing it with 90s urban sensibilities.

His team for this release features the excellent Dina Carroll blessing us with her beautiful vocals as well as rapper Monte Luv. 

It also opens with a nice breakbeat, underpinning the whole song, and I do like a break!

Wicked stuff! :)

Simon-Harris-Don-t-Stop-CD
Tracklist
  1. Don't Stop The Music (Critical Club Mix)
    Featuring [Starring] – Dina Carroll, Monte Luv
  2. Ragga House (Return Of The Prodigal Raggamuffin Mix)
    Featuring [Starring] – Daddy Freddy
  3. Love Brake
  4. Don't Stop The Music (Radio Edit)
    Featuring [Starring] – Dina Carroll, Monte Luv

Download: SH-DSTM.7z | Filesize: 43.9MB

4 comments:

  1. It samples Graham Central Station's 'The Jam' as well as James Brown's 'Say It Loud...'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked, thank you! :) I know both of those tracks very well so obviously not got my ears on :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the worst write up I've done on here. Many apologies, I was in a rush before I went out and think it lost some cohesion somewhere along the way.

    I'll redo it when I get a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I defo hear James Brown - Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud (August 1968).... Thank you for the share🎶👍

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs