Monday 12 April 2021

Keith Sweat - I Want Her (UK '97 Mixes) - UK CDS - (1997)

Elektra ‎– E3887CD, Elektra ‎– 7559-63887-2

Keith-Sweat-I-Want-Her-97-Mixes-Cover

Originally released in September 1987 and produced by Keith Sweat and Teddy Riley. This anthem was a real highpoint and defining moment for New Jack Swing.

This rerelease and suite of remixes was released on the decade anniversary and actually bought some new and interesting vibes to the table.

Keith-Sweat-I-Want-Her-97-Mixes-OFC

Keith-Sweat-I-Want-Her-97-Mixes-IFC

First up we have The Young Disciples' Femi Fem doing his thing. It sticks mostly  to the vibe of the original but has some nice new instrumentation. There are three flavours with a radio mix, full length and instrumental to pick from. Really nice!

Funky DL comes next, bringing a 90s Hip Hop tinged feeling to things. This mix is probably my favourite of the new versions. I love the bounce and it feels incredibly summery. I keep wanting to bop around to it so it must have a certain X-factor to it.

There are two versions from the Dubaholics next, a full vocal and a dub, and actually, although I'm normally dismissive of four-to-the-floor remixes of tracks that I love, these are pretty damn good, and would certainly have their place in the club. These are not some half-assed house remixes - they actually work. Booty shakin' and nice (even if they are my least favourite versions on this disc).

Lastly, there is the Teddy Riley original. An impeccable, timeless and legendary classic. Do I really have to say anything about such an awesome piece of New Jack Swing & R&B history?

All in all, it's a really tight release to mark the tenth year anniversary of a classic. None of the new mixes let the original down and it still has the original full length version as well. Result!

Keith-Sweat-I-Want-Her-97-Mixes-CD

Tracklist

  1. I Want Her (Femi Fem's '97 Radio Mix)
  2. I Want Her (Femi Fem's Master Mix)
  3. I Want Her (Femi Fem's Instrumental)
  4. I Want Her (Funky DL Remix)
  5. I Want Her (Dubaholics Vocal Dub Mix)
  6. I Want Her (Dubaholics Deep Club Dubb)
  7. I Want Her (Album Version)
Download: KS-IWH-97.7z | Filesize: 81.1MB

4 comments:

Shout outs