Monday 23 September 2019

Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart - (1990)

Elektra ‎– EKR 114CD, Elektra ‎– 7559-66613-2, Elektra ‎– EKR114CD


Deee-Lite-Groove-Is-In-The-Heart-Cover

What an absolutely legendary cut this is from Deee-Lite.

We've talked about classics on here before and this one certainly fits that tag.

This song is built from samples which include a big ol' chunk of the drums from Vernon Burch's 'Get Up' (1979), a much smaller piece of Billy Preston's Stevie Wonder cover 'Uptight' (1966), that dope bassline from mister Herbie Hancock's 'Bring Down the Birds' (1966), multiple elements from Bel-Sha-Zaar, Tommy Genapopoluis and The Grecian Knights 'Introduction' (1969) (what a weird excersize track that one is) ...and I know I must have missed some.


Deee-Lite-Groove-Is-In-The-Heart-OFC

Have a look at the credits on this bad-boy - 'Tip, Bootsy, Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley and engineer Bob Power. That's about as heavyweight a team as you're ever going to get.

Credits
Composer: Deee-Lite
Vocals: Q-Tip
Background Vocals: Bootsy Collins
Saxophone: Maceo Parker
Trombone: Fred Wesley
Arranger: Deee-Lite
Additional Arrangement, Engineering & Mixing: Mike Rogers
Assistant Engineers: Eddie Sancho, Derek Lategan
Additional Engineer: Bob Power


Deee-Lite-Groove-Is-In-The-Heart-IFC


It's the Meeting Of The Minds Mix you'll be wanting. That's the full length version with additional vocals to provide extra flavour courtesy of Bootsy Collins and Q-Tip, and remains to this day the definitive version of this song.

It's an essential party jam and never fails to move people with its feelgood happy-happy-joy-joy vibes. I've always loved it!



Dig
The chills that you spill up my back 

Keep me filled with satisfaction when we're done

Satisfaction of what's to come
I couldn't ask for another
No, I couldn't ask for another


Your groove, I do deeply dig
No walls, only the bridge, my supper dish
My succotash wish
I couldn't ask for another
No, I couldn't ask for another


Groove is in the heart, Groove is in the heart
Groove is in the heart, Groove is in the heart
Watch out!


The depth of hula groove
Move us to the nth hoop
We're going through to, Horten hears a who


I couldn't ask for another
No, I couldn't ask for another


DJ Soul was on a roll
I been told he can't be sold
Not vicious or malicious
Just de-lovely and delicious


I couldn't ask for another


Someone's in this torso (yeah)
Hot! Gotta deal you wanna know (wanna know)
Dee-Liteful truly Dee-Liteful (liteful)
Makin' it doin' it 'specially at show (show)
Feeling kinda high like a Hendrix haze (haze)
Music makes motion moves like a maze (maze)
All inside of me (side)
Heart especially (yeah)
Help of the rhythm where I wanna be (c'mon)
Flowin' glowin' with electric eyes (ha)
You dip to the dive baby you'll realize (yeah)
Baby you'll see the funky side of me
Baby you'll see that rhythm is the key (hmm!)
Get get ready with it (with it)
Can't can't quit it (quit it)
Stomp on the street when I hear a funk beat (beat)
Playing Pied Piper
Follow what's true
Baby just sing about the groove (sing it)

Groove is in the heart

Deee-Lite-Groove-Is-In-The-Heart-CD
Tracklist
  1. Deee-Lite With Bootsy & Q-Tip - Groove Is In The Heart (Meeting Of The Minds Mix)
  2. Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart (Peanut Butter Mix)
  3. Deee-Lite - What Is Love? (Holographic Goatee Mix)
  4. Deee-Lite - What Is Love? (Rainbow Beard Mix)
Download: DL-GIITH.7z | Filesize: 37.2MB

10 comments:

  1. Ive always loved this, Even tho it went pop it was still a groovy dance floor filler. Thanks Kym :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a new rip Kym? The Speck doesn't look great?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In what way babes? It should be a 320 MP3?

      What are you seeing? I haven't uploaded a dud, have I?

      Delete
  3. Not sure it may be the actual master of the track itself as I've downloaded this few times from different sauces and always the speck looks iffy, When I put it through a spectrum analyser it peaks at 16kHz (Grrove is in the heart and 14kHz on What is love?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I suspect it's the master itself then?

    It was ripped from the CD single using the same settings I use for everything. Can you check out one of my other posts and confirm that's peaking correctly?

    If so then it's unequivocally the mastering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. thanks for checking, Ingo.

      Seems like it was just this track mastered poorly?

      Delete
  6. Pretty much yea, An no problem :)

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs