Monday 5 August 2019

Tom Browne - Funkin' For Jamaica - (1991)

BMG/Arista Records 664 998


Tom-Browne-Funkin-For-Jamaica-cover

320 re-up!


Tom Browne (born October 30, 1954 in Queens, New York, United States) rose to prominence first through his early work with Sonny Fortune, and scored two major hits in 1980 and 1981: the No. 1 US Billboard R&B single "Funkin' for Jamaica (N.Y.)" and the No. 4 US R&B single, "Thighs High (Grip Your Hips and Move)". Later in 1982 he released a minor hit called, "Fungi Mama (bebopafunkadiscolypso)" which was also recorded on the Arista record label and reached number 58 in the UK chart.

Funkin' For Jamaica is a legendary track from that really needs no introduction, so I'll dispense with the usual description on this one. You know it, and, if you have a pair of ears that work properly, you probably love it. It was a top ten hit in the UK, and spent four weeks at numero uno on the US R&B chart.

Now Funkin' For Jamaica did not need a remix as it still sounds fantastic to this day, but eleven years after it first came out in 1991 that's exactly what it got. Thankfully, the remix was quality. None other than Drizabone on the lick, and, oh my god, I think I do actually prefer it. It's not a heavy handed hatchet job, it's a sophisticated update that keeps close to the original vibe.


Tom-Browne-Funkin-For-Jamaica-OFC

There's a 7", a 12" (Clearly the best one) and a slightly more stripped down Jam Dub Mix. However, if you should find it heresy like I perhaps should so, you can find the original version on this CD, too.

What a wicked release this was, and it is still incredibly hard to beat as a Summer vibe party song.

Despite the colours used for the front cover of this single, I'd always assumed the track was dedicated to Jamaica, Queens in New York, seeing as Tom is American, and this ain't no reggae track! (note it was later pointed out to me by Mick that the original release was titled 
"Funkin' for Jamaica (N.Y.)".
Tom-Browne-Funkin-For-Jamaica-CD
Tracklist
  1. Funkin' For Jamaica (1991 7" Remix)
  2. Funkin' For Jamaica (1991 12" Remix)
  3. Funkin' For Jamaica (Original)
  4. Funkin' For Jamaica (1991 Jam Dub Mix)
Download: TB.FFJ.7z | Filesize: 47.4MB

16 comments:

  1. I remember this as well as I am sure there was another version of Funkin of Jamacia by somebody else that came out near enough the same time which was really poor...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.. I don't recall that one. I know NWA used the trumpet at the start for a track on their efiL4zaggiN LP...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was working in the record shop we sold this one rather than the other version (which I am sure a uk outfit sung it. I am sure there faces are on the 12")because it was the better mix and it had the original piece. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good find! Don't remember this version at all.
    "I do actually prefer it." That's a BIG comment to make if you're saying you prefer this to the Tom Browne original?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I felt bad just typing that! I think it's because the drums are a little bit more interesting to me (I think I hear the Scorpio bongos breakbeat in there too), but the whole track is very respectful to a brilliant original.

    I do love that original version though, and you're quite right to pull me up on such a statement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this. Based on your review alone I had to DL and check it out. I did end up liking the 7 inch version too, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the best grooves of all time

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record Kymba, the original track was entitled:

    "Funkin' For Jamaica (N,Y,)"

    discogs.com/viewimages?release=199351

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wouldn't mind hearing this remix but its already dead?

    ReplyDelete
  10. doesn't go to any link to download it

    ReplyDelete
  11. any chance you could re-post don-e love makes the world go round please

    ReplyDelete
  12. any chance you could re-post don-e love makes the world go round please

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got it, but not got it to hand. As soon as I'm able to get into storage I'll dig it out for you

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs