Saturday 1 May 2021

Sinclair - Ain't No Cassanova '95 - UK CDS - (1995)

Dome Records ‎– CD DOME 103

Sinclair-Casanova-Cover

So Mickey P had already posted the original 1993 version, re-upped in 320 by yours truly. 

I've got a lot of love for that release. I remember it being big on UK street soul radio in the early 90's (KISS FM (when it was good), Choice FM & others) and I always loved that bassline. So good! I was also taken with the naughty reworking of the Sammuel So You Like What You See sample, which is a monster of a cut in its own right.

Sinclair-Casanova-OFC

The Groove 95 remix features a cheekily little interpolation of the Jackson 5 I Want You back bassline, which will forever be associated with Eric B & Rakim in my mind.

The Ken Kessie U.S. Mix has a rap by Pepperhead aka Jeffrey Wiltshire, who I've seen named on a couple of cuts but I'm not too knowledgeable about. The drums are mad crisp and the bassline nods back to the original, which is nice, but it lacks the Sammuel sample. Probably my pick of the bunch on this CD.

2B3 are Neville Thomas and Pule Pheto and they were all over any urban act worth their salt in the 90s including D'Angelo, Jodeci, Silent Eclipse, Beverley Knight, Evelyyn Champagne King and many, many more. You can find many of their productions on this blog. Here 2B3 sample Levert's superb classic Casanova (see what they did there?) to build something new but familiar with. I'll be posting that Levert track in the coming few weeks.

Ultimately however, despite liking these newer three versions, I keep coming back to the regular and/or US Encore Mix from the original 1993. There's something in the originals bassline that speaks to me.

Sinclair-Casanova-95-CD

Tracklist
  1. Ain't No Casanova (Groove '95 Remix)
  2. Ain't No Casanova (Ken Kessie U.S. Mix)
  3. Ain't No Casanova (2B3 Back To Basics Remix)
  4. Stay With Me Tonight

Download: S-C-95.7z | Filesize: 40.7MB

1 comment:

  1. Was never a big fan of this but happy to see this chart at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs