Sunday 13 June 2021

Guy - I Wanna Get With U - Europe CD Maxi - (1990)

MCA Records ‎– 9031-72997-2

Guy-I-Wanna-Get-With-U-Cover

Released the year before The Future album dropped, this gave an indication of how far Guy and Teddy Riley had come 
as a Producer in such a short space of time. These boys were hungry, and they were taking no prisoners.

Sadly, a dark sequence of events including former manager Gene Griffin allegedly embezzling much of the group's earnings, an ill fated tour supporting New Edition where Guy upstaged the headline act a few dates into the tour, with deadly consequences that saw one of New Edition's production managers shoot and kill Anthony Bee - a member of Guy's security detail; saw both Aaron Hall step back from main vocal duties as well as Guy disbanding well before their time.

Guy-I-Wanna-Get-With-U-OFC

Guy-I-Wanna-Get-With-U-IFC

All that grim stuff aside, Guy put out some of the best R&B of the era, not least of which was the uber funky I Wanna Get With U, with Teddy taking on most of the vocal duties (but Aaron supplying an amazing bridge section and other background duties like the call and response with TR), it stands today as a great example of a band who, at the time, were top of the world.

And that bassline! Oh my days! :)

I'm not sure which is the best mix for me. The 12" or Club Version will both see you in good hands. Either way, this was one of my favourite tracks on the album.

Enjoy!

Guy-I-Wanna-Get-With-U-CD

Tracklist

  1. I wanna Get With U (12" Version)
  2. I wanna Get With U (7" Version)
  3. I wanna Get With U (Club Version)
Download: G-IWGWU.7z | Filesize: 45.1MB

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved guy, the production, the songs, the voices, i remember buying every us import from the local r&b record shop, i still listen to them today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Tim! I used to travel up to HMV Oxford Street and pick up overpriced imports!

      Their best tracks go toe to toe with any modern track you could pick.

      Delete
  2. Ain't no thing sweetie! :)

    I'm still rinsing out that Bassline track you gifted us with :)

    ReplyDelete

Shout outs