Sunday, 17 June 2012

Method Man feat Mary J Blige - I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (1995) - CD1 & CD2

Def Jam Recordings – DEFDX 11, Island Records – 579 833-2


Back in the day, LL Cool J got laughed out of town when he dropped the (admittedly terrible) I Need Love on an unready Hip-Hop world, but Wu-Tang Clan core member Method Man had no such consequences for delving into the world of the Hip-Hop love song when he dropped All I Need on his debut album Tical. However, that might be because he's a bona-fide dope rapper, and managed to steer clear of the cheesey sentiment displayed by LL, opting more for a heartfelt, thugged-out, Shaolin roughneck poem of love to his woman.

Despite that, the track wasn't really one of my faves on Tical, I often used to skip it in favour of diving straight into Bring The Pain, Release Yo'Delf or Mr Sandman... I guess it seemed a bit average to me.

That is, until, it got the RZA remix treatment, with added Mary J Blige doing a Marvin Gaye chorus on the Razor Sharp Mix. Daaaamn, now that's how you remix a track! The remix ranks up there with the Redman collaborations as one of the best things Meth has done outside of the Wu and one of the best beats RZA has concocted. Try and listen to it without bobbing your head. It can't be done.

The single was a two part affair. Disc One was a suite of remixes of All I Need, including an instantly forgettable one by Puff Daddy, and two (three if you count the Instrumental) great versions by our very own Dodge (Soul Inside Edit & Keep It Tight Mix), who knocks the ball out of the park with more killer productions that have become the expected norm when we talk about anything Dodge touches.

As good as the Dodge mixes are, RZA's Razor Sharp Mix remains the definitive version of this track, but do check out the Dodge's mixes and let me know what you think.

Disc Two & DL link after the jump.

  • I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (Puff Daddy Mix)
  • I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (Soul Inside Edit)
  • I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (Soul Inside Instrumental)
  • I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (Keep It Tight Mix)
  • I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (Razor Sharp Mix)
  • I'll Be There For You / You're All I Need To Get By (Puff Daddy Instrumental)

==========================================================

Def Jam Recordings – DEFCD 11, Island Records – 579 831-2


The Razor Sharp Mix gets another showing on the second disc, which also features two mixes of Bring The Pain, in which The Prodigy aka Liam Howlett and The Chemical Brothers bring their respective electronic vibes to the track.

Both mixes are quality, but, being the Hip-Hop girl that I am, I do prefer the album cut of Bring The Pain. Still, they're nice to have for when the mood suits you.


  • I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By (Razor Sharp Mix)
  • Bring The Pain (Chemical Vocal)
  • Bring The Pain (Prodigy Mix)
  • Bring The Pain (Chemical Instrumental)

The Download Link is for both CD's is here: Meth - All I Need.zip | Filesize: 95.14MB

3 comments:

  1. 64 DL's so far... zero shouts. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. tune ....got the cd ...what can i saw ..dem dark days ...URBAN. I was into my RnB days ...heard this tune and couldnt get it out my heard .. those MJB vocals .. haunted me.... and then somehow someway `i heard the Marvin and Tammy version ...OMG- MUSIC !!! Period ...Thanks for reminding me od dem days .. still gonna cop it !!! Awww dem days. Playing reminisce MJB with my little friend el ninio !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be psychic, 'Pac! I've got MJB's Reminisce CDS lined up as one of my next few posts. There's a "Bad Boy Mix" on there that mixes the original with the sax loop from Pete Rock & CL Smooth's 'They Reminisce Over you (TROY)' - dynamite!

      Delete

Leave some feedback