Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Junior Giscombe - Step Off (1990)

MCA Records - DMCAT 1432


Brit-Soul legend Junior Giscombe (he of Mama Used To Say fame) came back in fine style with this dance-floor smasher back in 1990.

Despite featuring D Mob's Dancin' Danny D on production and Nuff Juice on the rap (a combo that worked to great effect on D Mob's Put Your Hands Together), Step Off seems largely forgotten (I can't even find a video on Youtube for it), but still sounds great to me.

The 7" version is dope, with its Hip-Hop breakbeat, stabs, and early nineties trademark piano chords. Dancin' Danny D's Slammin' & Jammin' Mix is essentially an extended version, and, is my favourite of the bunch. The oddity here is The Boogie Pella, which strips out the vocals & melodics and turns it into something of a breakbeat led monster. Really good if you're into that sort of thing (like me).

I've just found out there are a suite of Blacksmith remixes of this that I haven't ever heard before. Damn. I think I'm going to get the 12" and post it here in the future if Mickey hasn't got it. Mick??

Enjoy!

  • Step Off (7" Version)
  • Step Off (Dancin' Danny D's Slammin' & Jammin' Mix)
  • The Boogie Fella

The download link is here: Step Off.ZIP | Size: 23.2 MB

6 comments:

  1. So nice to hear this one again thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Honey, I have the same CD as you and Then Came You CDS. Both have 7" versions of the original songs, I always meant to pick the album up but...

    Mickey P. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was a big fan of Dancin' Danny D productions back in the day. Somehow missed this one. Thnx for the post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've bought a mint 12" of the Blacksmith Mixes from Discogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twilight Firm mix is the one, very underated uk producers

    ReplyDelete

Leave some feedback